Tuesday, July 19, 2011

3/365.

My best memories of Adele are lying lazily on the floor of my good friend T's family summer cottage on a lake in Ontario while the album 19 plays. This year, her aptly-titled 21 was released and it continues to awe me. She said in interviews that the American South inspired a lot of arrangements on this newest album, and today's choice for 3/365 is a great example of what she does with that influence.


"Rumour Has It" has so much going for it: powerful, dead-on vocals that navigate intricate intervals; hand claps with a brutal drum beat; dense, harmonized backup singers; and an out-of-nowhere haunting bridge, complete with "we're not worthy" acrobatics. (Every time I hear the bridge, I'm still not sure that I like it because of the incongruous loss of that driving beat, but when it connects back to the song with cascading piano and a capella backup vocals, I'm back on board.)

Listen to Adele and you'll thank me.

1 comment:

LuLu said...

I did. And I do. You introduced me to Adele back in 2009 on this very blog. My memories of Adele will be the summer of 2011 and listening to *21* on various road trips.