Friday, March 02, 2012

9/365.

I've been pinin' for Scotland lately. I was only there once, and it was for about a week-and-a-half, about 12 years ago, but I've been thinking about straight-up living there in the last couple of weeks. I expect it would be similar to Canada's East Coast, climate-wise, only maybe damper.

I've been stoking this fire by listening to The Proclaimers more. I know, I know... there are a lot of other Scottish bands I could be enjoying, and I know I've already profiled a song from another successful Scot band, Travis, but hey, I'm in a mood, ok? Back off.

I've chosen Letter From America for a few reasons.

It has excellent, inventive harmonies and great use of non-lead/non-lyrical, almost percussive vocals.

It uses some interesting tempo choices, too. It uses triplets at the end of the chorus ("Miami to Canada"). The triplet echoes a common tempo feature in celtic music. I love the use of triplets in pop music. Triplets always baffled me, but my life partner B. was never stymied by them. Damn him.

I am also a sucker for bittersweet stories, and leaving the homeland to travel to a far-away land for work is a story we're very familiar with on the East Coast. Nova Scotia is named so for a reason, for goodness sake! Immigrants came here and come here from abroad, and now, Atlantic Canadians are faced with the same issues: leaving home to find work further afield.

One thing I'm increasingly obsessed with is watching how active their mouths are when they make the [r] sound! Look how the tongues dance off the roof of the mouth!

2 comments:

David S. said...

Great choice! We saw the Proclaimers at Mariposa in what the Internet tells me was 2009 (but I would have guessed was last summer. :-( What's up with that?)

Anyway, they were still great and had the audience in the palms of their identical hands. You could really hear the Auchtermucht-ian influence in their songs.

Lynda said...

If you moved to Scotland, I would come and visit you. :)